Friday, December 3, 2010

The divesting continues...

I have a lot of stuff. When I moved to Western Canada, my company paid for it. When I moved to California, my company and I split it. So I've never had a lot of incentive to divest.

Now, I have incentive. Oh boy do I... 

But until recently, you wouldn't know to look around the house that I've been divesting for months  - most of what I'm getting rid of has been the contents of cabinets that I don't use (bundt pans and mixers? I don't bake, both were gifts and they'd never been used...), stuff tucked away behind things and I hadn't used in years (crutches from my knee surgery at 17?), or stuff that I used to love but simply no longer have use for so have been sitting in a storage room (800 a CDs from a previous life, that went to a local high school music teacher for her students.).

Today, I've started to see signs! One of the first pieces of furniture to go - the bookshelf that was in that corner (and you can see some of the contents in the boxes next to it).

I'd had that bookhelf since high school. It still had the "Hatred is not a family value" bumper sticker I put on it when I was... oh, no more than 16. :) It went to a nice, fairly typical late-life hippie lady here in Alameda, who loved the bumper sticker.
But that was an easy one to get rid of. The next bookshelf I post will also have a bumper sticker, but this one is "Trust your lust." Also from my teenage years, and I'm fairly certain I didn't actually comprehend the phrase when I put it up. :) It also has a picture on the side, a drawing by my sister of a not-anatomically-correct teddy bear, and a postcard she glued up, a picture of the Beatles. If I can get them off without damaging the shelf, I may surprise her with those...

No comments:

Post a Comment